The Leopard and Leopard Pro bikes are now some 4 years old… many have been ridden for many thousands of miles… and are still ‘like new’…
However, one part of the bike is being changed more than any other, and that is, of course, the SpeedForce.
With the servers shut down , and riders changing their ‘phones, the SpeedForce only becomes useful for ‘live ride’ information. You still have to carry a Strava linked computer or phone, to record your ride.
This “Modifications” page, is to show many of the different ways that owners of the Leopard / Leopard Pro can remove the SpeedForce and replace it with a stem and /or handlebar combination.
|Country:||United Kingdom||Bike||Leopard Pro (Black / Red)|
The SpeedForce and handlebars were replaced with a one piece integrated Handlebar and Stem, reducing the stem length from 105mm to 90mm, and the width of the bars down to 420mm from the original 440mm. I was feeling a little stretched in the cockpit department.
The bars and the Garmin Mount were both bought from AliExpress and all work was carried out by my LBS.
The Di2 connection block was replaced by an EW-RS910 that is mounted in the right-hand side of the bars. There wasn’t enough room under the stem for all the cables and the original junction box.
The seat-post battery & cabling were all removed – saving approx 600gms in weight. The removal included the Speed Sensor and the Cadence sensor, both in the non-driveside chain stay.
While the bike was under the care of my LBS, the wheels were also replaced with a pair of Intrepid RXT50. 50mm Deep Section Carbon Aero Wheels, with 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons tyres.
The overall weight has now been reduced to 8.075kg (17.8lbs) from the original 9.030kg (19.9lbs)
|Country:||Denmark||Bike:||Leopard Pro (Black / Black)|
Speedx Leopard Pro fitted with a new stem and some weight removed.
I recently bought at Speedx Leopard Pro frame set and handlebars in size L and needed to find a solution for a missing stem to fit the internal cabling.
I ended up fitting a standard Giant Contact SL Stem, +/-8 degrees/90 mm, since it looks kind of square.
I drilled and filed a square hole underneath the stem to fit the brake cables and DI2 wires through.
The stem was finished of with a coat of matt black paint. The same paint was used for the crankset, which originally was a silver colored Shimano 105 compact.
The group set is a Shimano 6870 DI2 set with a 9070 front derailleur. The front derailleur bracket needed some machining to be able to operate the 9070 fd correctly. It seems like the bracket dimension is too big when I compare it to a similar bracket on a Giant TCR bike. Without a bit of filing the bracket would squeeze the mechanical parts in the derailleur when it was properly tightened. But anyway… no it works perfectly.
I have placed the junction box and battery in the downtube. I will know when charging is needed as the front derailleur will stop working when approx. 20 percent battery is left 😆.
The original rear light battery assembly and spring was removed since it have no purpose anymore and would save some weight.
The original Speedx (Detec) carbon wheelset went on another bike so I have fitted the bike with a set of Giant SL1 Aero carbon/alu wheels.
The wheels are fitted with 23 mm Tufo Calibra kevlar tires (205 g per tyre). The wheels run perfectly but are quite heavy, so the complete build, including pedals, end up in a total weight of 8,3 kg. (5,4 kg including pedals and without wheel set).
|Country:||United Kingdom||Bike:||Leopard Pro (Black / Red)|
|Country:||Netherlands||Bike||Leopard Pro (Black / Black)|
|Mods:||Put Deda Davinci handlebar and Stem on it with integrated DI2.|
|Country:||United States||Bike:||Leopard Pro (Black / Red)|
Work performed by Wheelbase Bike shop in Frederick, Maryland
New stem is BCM ICS 90 mm stem, wires remained internal, and the battery was removed from the seat post, as was all other wiring.
The BCS Stem is aluminum and needed two holes drilled in the bottom for the cables and wires to exit, if I was to do this again I think I would not have a COVID Pandemic, so discussions with the shop could be better prior to the switch.
The original handlebars and even tape was used, I did add the stickers from SpeedX
The actual weight loss is difficult to know because at the same time new wheels (Intrepid 50) tubeless tires (Schwalbe Pro One 23) and chain (Shimano) also went on, at some point, I will reweigh with the old wheels to see the Seedforce net.
The current weight prior to the other stuff is 17.6 pounds.
I ride with front and rear light those are 50 g each, I use a GPS computer(Cateye Stealth 10) 60 g for speed and distance and phone for directions if needed.
The thing that makes no good sense on an aero bike is my GoPro it sticks up in the wind and weighs just over 200 g with its case.